A large expansion
The expansion of the Madrid-Barajas airport, which was put into service in 2006, has allowed an increase in the capacity of the infrastructure to 70 million passengers per year.
The project included a new T4 terminal and the T4S satellite building with over 700,000 additional m² of passenger space with new highly complex systems and installations (ABHS –Automated Baggage Handling System and the APM –Automated People Mover), two new runways, two new airplane parking platforms with a surface area of 2,500,000 m² and a six module car park with nearly 10,000 parking places.
Application of our ORAT methodology
Ineco performed the following functions in this project:
- Integrated management of the project to commission the new infrastructure, including the control and monitoring of the programming of all necessary activities.
- Definition, development and implementation of the extended airport’s business and operative model (infrastructure use model, allocation of resources and spaces, services outsourcing strategy, human resources requirements, definition of the commercial offer, etc.).
- Definition, development and implementation of the real time management centre, including the centre’s technical requirements.
- Development of operative procedures in the airport’s different areas: operations, airport services, maintenance, computing, security, the ABHS – Automated Baggage Handling System, environment, etc.
- Monitoring and control of the personnel training during the familiarisation process concerning airport activity.
- Preparation of the familiarization and training material on the new operative procedures.
- Familiarisation courses with the new airport setting and training on the new operative procedures.
- Monitoring of the operational and acceptance tests of the new installations and systems.
- Preparation of the contingency plans for possible incidents during the opening.
- Definition, development and execution of the operating tests (ORAT Operation Trials).
- Definition, development and coordination of the transfer processes to the new installations.
- Supporting the airport after the commissioning of the new installations. Monitoring of the service levels after the opening.