Expansion of the current installations
Unlike the expansions to the Madrid-Barajas and Barcelona-El Prat airports where the new buildings were completely separated from the old ones, in Malaga airport the new T3 terminal building is physically connected to the old terminals. This meant that greater coordination was required due to the effects on the airport’s operations during the construction phase.
The expansion has allowed for an increase in the airport capacity to 30 million passengers per year thanks to the construction of a new T3 terminal building with over 25,000 m² of additional space for passengers with new highly complex systems and installations (ABHS – Automated Baggage Handling System), a new runway, a new 150,000 m² airplane parking platform and a car park building with over 2,500 spaces. Underground work was also performed to tunnel the local Malaga-Fuengirola railway line and a new underground local railway station was built to service the airport.
ORAT methodology experts
Ineco performed the following functions:
- Integrated management of the project to commission the new infrastructure, including the control and monitoring of the programming of all necessary activities.
- Definition, development and implementation of the extended airport’s business and operative model (infrastructure use model, allocation of resources and spaces, services outsourcing strategy, human resources requirements, definition of the commercial offer, etc.).
- Definition, development and implementation of the real time management centre, including the centre’s technical requirements.
- Development of operative procedures in the airport’s different areas: operations, airport services, maintenance, computing, security, the ABHS – Automated Baggage Handling System, environment, etc.
- Monitoring and control of the personnel training during the familiarisation process concerning airport activity.
- Preparation of the familiarization and training material on the new operative procedures.
- Familiarisation courses with the new airport setting and training on the new operative procedures.
- Monitoring of the operational and acceptance tests of the new installations and systems.
- Preparation of the contingency plans for possible incidents during the opening.
- Definition, development and execution of the operating tests (ORAT Operation Trials).
- Definition, development and coordination of the transfer processes to the new installations.
- Supporting the airport after the commissioning of the new installations. Monitoring of the service levels after the opening.